Blog Features Final Look at Andrew Willgoos Turbine Laboratory
Kenneth R. Gosselin of the Hartford Courant featured the demolition of Pratt & Whitney's Andrew Willgoos Turbine Laboratory in an entry in his "Property Line" real estate blog. The post includes several historic photographs, as well as photos and videos of the ongoing demolition.
Pratt & Whitney built the Andrew Willgoos Turbine Laboratory - once the largest privately owned gas turbine laboratory in the world - to test experimental engines and components in simulated flight conditions. In the test cells at Willgoos, it was possible to simulate altitudes ranging from sea-level to more than 70,000 feet, and velocities up to three times the speed of sound.
The facility, named for Willgoos, Pratt & Whitney's first chief engineer, opened in 1950.