Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne solves your toughest engineering problems.
Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne is the leader in rocket engine turbomachinery with more than 50 years experience designing, fabricating and testing more than 80 different turbopumps. These turbopumps operate with a variety of propellants (cryogenic, ambient temperature fluids) with flow rates ranging from 10 to 100,000 gallons per minute, and with discharge pressures ranging from 100 psi to 8000+ psi. PWR has many advanced turbine designs that operate at high temperature (1850 degR) and pressure (5000 psia) without blade cooling.
PWR Extreme Engineers are experienced in all phases of the turbomachinery product development cycle from pump sizing, to detailed flange-to-flange pump and turbine performance predictions using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models, to flow testing. PWR has world-class design and analysis tools and turbopump testing capabilities.
These tools and experience are also invaluable in delivering rapid and accurate solutions for complex propellant feed-line and turbomachinery anomaly issues.
- • Compact, robust, high performance turbomachinery reduces weight, size and cost
- • High power density compact turbomachinery
- • Per turbine stage power density on the order of 10x larger than typical steam turbines
- • High temperature (1850 degR) and pressure (5000 psia) turbine applications without blade cooling
- • High head coefficient and compact single-stage and multiple-stage pumps with robust suction performance
- • Advanced hydrostatic bearings and thrust balance control for long life and minimal maintenance
- • Stable rotordynamic environments for wide operating speed range without vibration problems